Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Midnight Sun...please finish it!!

If you haven't heard the news, a hacker got into Stephanie Meyers personal email or something and hacked the first few chapters of her hopedfully novel Midnight Sun. Sadly, this upset Meyers greatly and the completion of the novel is on hold indefinitely. She did however release all the chapters on her personal website for us to view so of coarse I have recently finished reading it and highly suggest you do the same especially if you have read Twilight. I would also like to thank Em at this moment for pointing me in the direction of Midnight Sun and also the reason for this post because I just had to share some thoughts... spoiler alert by the way...
I loved that Meyers did this piece having Edward be the protagonist! I've always felt that Edward was such a calm and collected character (for a vampire especially) and his anger and violence was always, well, I felt pretty justified (helloooo remember the creepy guy who wanted to attack Bella in the alley?). However, in this first person expression on his family, his first encounter of Bella and their relationship that follows you get to see the turmoil and also the humor that is behind that calm, collected exterior we often just saw in Twilight.
First off I liked the look into the family dynamic of the Cullens more. Right off you learn a lot more about them and that each has a past and of coarse Edwards take on each. I especially liked how much more you saw of his relationship with his brothers and sisters. One of these relationships that I enjoyed the expansion on was with Emmett. There were several moments where he confides in him often and moments where they joked around which showed how much more close their relationship was. His relationship with his parents is also very endearing especially when you read how much Esme and Carlisle care about him and his happiness and their thoughts towards him.
His skills are also much more exsplained and shown. You get to see first hand how his special power of reading minds and seeing through others to view Bella or possible dangers around her really works. It also shows the closeness he and Alice share through both their powers. I also loved that we got to read about the development of the lullaby and how playing the piano is such a touching part of him.
Then there is his humor which I rarely felt that I got to see in the other books. It was there, but in these few chapters there were points I was laughing out loud at his dryness and sarcasm. In fact one of my favorite moments is him observing Bella dodge the ever persistent Mike and how Edward ends up uprooting two trees due to his jealousy. Also amusing was his brooding over his realization that he loved her but would not tell her due to his fear of her running away screaming... which also seemed to be a scenario he kept expecting it seemed... ah amore!
In seeing these circumstances through his eyes, I ended up seeing a very different side of Bella. You see how she is truly viewed as this delicate, clumsy human whom can't seem to stay out of trouble. You knew this reading Twilight (and frankly sometimes I wanted to slap her...sooo dramatic, sheesh!), but for some reason his descriptions of her and how he sees her seem to make it more obvious especially since your not reading Bella's thoughts and how she's trying to be brave or strong all the time.
The most intriguing thing about this incomplete work is that it makes you view each of Edward and Bella's encounters differently. Even non encounters but moments where you find out that he was watching her and situations where you didn't know what he was thinking, well, now you know.
I'm very sad that this book will not be completed as of now. I was truly looking forward to reading on and seeing how other situations looked from his point instead of hers and even seeing how more of the family's reaction to situations and how they all came to their conclusions in the end.
Well that is all I will blab about on this... for now. I hope that Meyers decided to come around and give her fans the book they crave. If anything I have truly enjoyed reading all the little mistakes and stuff she mentions in her letter to her fans concerning the chapters, but frankly I feel like it's a painting that you know when seeing it in it's beginning stages, will be a complete work of art, but it's just not finished yet.
Thanks again to Em for getting me to read it and inspiring this blog!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you read it. Also glad I have a friend who reads the tween books with me! They are just so much more entertaining! And I agree with you on Edward's perspective. I really changes things.