The story is of a mans struggle to fully trust God after a life of heartache and the murder of his youngest daughter. Through a random message delivered to his mailbox one winter day, Mack returns to the shack that had been the last place he and the police had found any evidence of his daughter's life. There his life is changed forever as he works through forgiveness and acceptance with God by his side.
I usually don't like these kind of books or get bored very quickly and never finish them, but Mack reacted and said things that I thought were very real responses to events and statements made. I also felt that the author did a wonderful job in making God more "real" in how he viewed/wrote God's interactions with Mack. At some points where Mack and God were talking, I was brought to tears by the described intimacy. It truly was a wonderful description of how a relationship can be with the Lord.
A quote from the book that has helped me take a new view on some situations... "I already told you that forgiveness does not create a relationship. Unless people speak the truth about what they have done and change their mind and behavior, a relationship of trust is not possible. When you forgive someone you certainly release them from judgment, but without true change, no real relationship can be established." -God speaking to Mack about forgiving his daughters killer.
I hope you also read this and just enjoy it! It truly is something that can touch your heart if you let it.
1 comment:
Ive read this book also! I thought it was a very beautiful story... and yeah, I too kinda fell asleep with other books of the type... but this one was different, maybe because the author chose to use a realistic relationship as one example (one of many, not absolute or perfect or standardized) of humanity's relationship to God, and not a fable-like story like Hurnard's metaphor of that same, always problematic relationship. Young's story just seemed much easier to to connect with! I liked "Hinds Feet on High Places" also, but sometimes it seemed bipolar. Young's seemed fresh and felt more real to me. Good book. Good book indeed :)
Post a Comment