Saturday, March 28, 2009

Twilight the movie

Right as myself and some friends sat down to watch Twilight the movie for the first (some of us second) time, I restated another friends suggestion about how we should take a shot every time one of the main actors gave a sultry look. Later, I was glad we didn't play that game! After the first 30 minutes of the movie I think I had counted up to 15 and I felt like I'd missed some too.
The first time I'd seen the movie was in the presence of some who had read the books and others, like my husband, who hadn't. I also was not paying very close attention so in my second viewing of the flick (a week later and by myself) I have come to the conclusion that I like the movie, but can see that it is definitely directed for those younger then I... just like the books.
My hubby, being the honest person that he is, was very confused about this movie and did not really understand how all of a sudden Bella and Edward were in this very intense relationship. Him not having read the books did not already have the assumed knowledge of Bella's curiosity and desire to be with Edward in the back of their head like I felt most who have read the book, I assume, would. So in his fresh eyes on the movie, it seemed utterly ridiculous which I see and is totally understandable. It does seem very hasty and quick this sudden relationship and it doesn't help that Edward was often looking like he was in pain... or as my dear husband said "Constantly constipated." Thanks babe!
But now here is my view on the movie.
The casting of characters was pretty good. I pictured many of them very similarly in my head, especially Carlisle and Esme. I felt that Bella's parents were depicted pretty well and I enjoyed the Charlie character. There were a few exceptions though, like Emmette whom I pictured bigger physically and looking a bit more intimidating and Jasper, whom I was very suprised to see as this deer-in-headlights, waify looking fellow who constantly looked like he was about to freak out. I had always figured him to look more welcoming and content, but not this bug eyed kid. Hmmm, if I could recast Jasper...whom would it be...
I liked most of the chemistry between the actors playing Bella and Edward. I admire the fact that they can stare at eachother so intently and not break out laughing hysterically all the time. I felt though that Edward's character was played a bit harsher then what I pictured. Often there were moments he was yelling at Bella and just being mean. Also, like my husband stated not so ceremoniously, he constantly looked in some kind of pain. Now, being a reader of all 4 novels, I understand that he suffered being so close to Bella, but Edward was also able to learn to control himself, so I think the looks of absolute pain furrowing his brow could have toned down the last half of the movie.
I also felt that Bella was colder towards her human friends then in the book. She was more supportive and tentative towards them in the books and made an effort to try to be "normal" with them when she could. A big example of this was the dress shopping where she barely payed attention to the girls and bolted for the book store ASAP as apposed to in the novel she made an effort to help and then went off on her own.
I am very interested to see what they do next for New Moon and how Jacob's appearance will change. He is supose to be a lot bigger then what was depicted in the first movie, so I am anxious to see if the same actor will be a part of the crew or if they will have someone new.
So what did you think of the movie compared to the book? If you've only seen the movie what was your opinion on it?

No comments: