Sunday, September 13, 2009

A new kind of Life...

As some of you may know, I started grad school this past August. To get the always asked questions out of the way...,
So what are you going back for?
I am going back for my Masters in Special Education focusing on kids diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder.
So are you part time or full time?
I am going full time and I am not working right now.
(confused look crosses persons face) Why aren't you working?
I haven't been in school for about 6 years so I want to get back into the swing of things so I don't screw up.
(accusatory look) well, so what do you do all day?
I read. I read a lot. Take the dog out, go to class and read some more. My job is basically studying.
(raised eyebrows of doubt) uh huh.

I don't know why, but for some reason the fact that I'm taking time off from having a job seems to confuse people. I don't know if it's the results of the bad economy and that people seem to be scrambling for jobs or clinging to their jobs, but don't you think I would know what is best for me right now? Some people can do things easily and can cram everything in to small amounts of time at the end of the day after 8 hours of what not, but I can't. That's not how I function.

It's funny that I am learning more and more about a field that basically shows that most people have a learning disorder and a persons education is often more successful when they figure out what caters to their needs, yet for some reason, after you are out of school, people seem to forget that. Everyone is different so in turn, don't you think people will continue to be different throughout all their other experiences too?


***Update 1/1/10: I just had to post this draft I had saved away because the hard work I put in all semester of being a full time payed off. Straight A's. Booyah!

No comments: