Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Books on CD

When Bobo and I were planning our move back to Kansas I went out and bought some books on CD because they had proven to be a great way to keep me entertained and awake for long periods of time in a car. It's wierd, I can't seem to shut my brain off if there is a story being told while others doze off easily. Even as a little girl I remember being at slumber parties with 10 other girls and they were all passed out asleep while I stayed up and finished watching the movie that was suppose to be a lull for us all to end up in dream land. I also remember scaring several friends mothers when they would walk in and I would still be sitting up staring at the screen.
Anyway, I have two new books I wanted to share wtih everyone:


The Memory Keepers Daughter by Kim Edwards. This was a sad book that was recommended by Bobo's mother. I'm glad I listened to it, it kept me going on the drive, but it was really long and their were points were I was expecting something to happen and nothing did. But everything that happened seemed to happen for a reason. Not to be a huge spoiler of the story, but a doctor gives birth to his and his wifes twins, one having Down's Syndrome. He makes a split second decision and tells the nurse helping with the birth to take it to an institusion. The nurse ends up taking the baby and raising her as her own. Everything that follows is how the doctor, his wife, the nurse and the twins lives are so effected by what happened that night and all of them are forever connected. The development of the characters is interesting and sad. But mainly all I could think of at the end was how on earth could someone give up their child so quickly just because they were different? During the time frame of when this took place in the book it of coarse was commen for people to do that, but anyway, I won't go there because that's a hole other tangent. It was heavy to listen to though on the drive, should have picked something a bit lighter.

On the drive Bobo and I took down to Tulsa and back a couple of weekends ago I stuck in Life of Pi by Yann Martel. This was recommended to me by KLoh a long time ago but I'd never picked it up because (I know, this is dumb) I thought it was about math...Pi... and a kid in a boat with a tiger...well I got two out of three right. For some reason this didn't seem appealing to me, but a couple of years later here I am, listening to it and even taking it inside so I can finish listening to it on my computer. It was a good story, which is funny to say if you've read the book. It carried well and I enjoyed it, even though there were parts I thought I could have been cut out with all the detailed description. Bobo even got annoyed with all of it and made me wear headphones when I brought it inside so he wouldn't have to hear all the describing. Some parts were gross, laugh out loud funny and sad. I actually wish I had read the book instead of listened to it.

I've also recently become a huge fan of Grey's Anatomy thanks to Bobo's mom sending me the fist two seasons. So if anyone ever wants to discuss it, I am more then open to that! I've missed this seasons start, but am planning to start watching weekly.
Okay, that's all for now really, Bobo and I are looking into classes and are at somewhat of a stalled moment till January it seems. Oh well. Till next time...

5 comments:

Arely said...

Yeah... the same thing happens to me. As long as the book Im reading has a storyline, I will be WIDE awake... it's even worse if I'm watching a movie..
I think it's a great thing though... we don't ever miss the action :) !!
jiji..

hmm...
no boots yet... STILL looking... the websites you sent to me are SO amazing.. the browsing was so fun! but ah well, I'm on a budget for this one, my friend... LoL !! cute, cute stuff, though... there's no arguing that! :D

Unknown said...

Well, I think Life of Pi is better when you read it just because it is more of a thinking book than a action packed good listening book. I love it, I thought after you find out the end you can't help but rethink everything you read and how it symbolized what was really happening.

Anyway, I just finished Secret Life of Bees, it was good, but I would have to say that it wasn't as good as I was expecting.

Unknown said...

Well, I think Life of Pi is better when you read it just because it is more of a thinking book than a action packed good listening book. I love it, I thought after you find out the end you can't help but rethink everything you read and how it symbolized what was really happening.

Anyway, I just finished Secret Life of Bees, it was good, but I would have to say that it wasn't as good as I was expecting.

Unknown said...

Hey, when are you going to put up some pics of your new place??

Tracey said...

I take it you are thinking of cutting your hair? I have always liked it short, mainly cause I am jealous cause my would never look good in most of the styles that you carry off so well!!!

You going to be in T-town at all for Thanksgiving? I will be home from the 17-26