So to recap May quickly, it was a wild weather fest with it staying cold and barely reaching even 60 at the beginning to heavy humidity, 80's and lots of storms. We are still getting a lot of wild weather here. Actually this past Thursday I was in the kitchen making dinner and Bobo had the TV on and we were waiting to hear about the storms headed our way. On live TV we watched a tornado touch down north of De Soto (in between Lawrence and KC area if you are curious) not just once, but TWICE! It was cool in that scary way, and it was a hoot to hear the excitement in the meteorologists/reporters voice. Bobo predicted he probably went home, grabbed a beer and walked around the house with his socks and tie still on declaring "This is what I live for! Money shot! Booyah!" ...or something around that line.
At the end if May I got to do a quick weekend up in WA/ID with my hole family. I learned that Spokane is quite lovely, Pullman I wish I'd seen more of, and Idaho is the land of misery...Poor Lewis and Clarks.
Bobo just finished Supervisor training this past week. Yeah! Now he won't be closing till 10pm! But he also really enjoyed his time doing it which is good.
My work is great! We just had a pot-luck this past Friday and everyone brought some awesomely yummy stuff! I have to say I was VERY proud of myself for making Smokey Chipotle Chili Con Queso Mac. Yeah, seriously, I made it... thank you Rachel Ray! Some of my favorite dishes were the Veggie Lasagna and the Strawberry Pretzel Salad.... sooo good!
On the subject of books I have finished...
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini which I recommend to anyone looking for a moving read. Hosseini is a powerful writer and I stayed up many nights past my bedtime to get through as many chapters as I could. I really loved this book and suggest it for a summer read.
Atonement by Ian McEwan. I think I just should have seen the movie. I enjoyed the story and seeing where the characters develop but I think a lot of development was underplayed to the sheer volume of description. Will Red Box or Netflix the movie at some point.
My Best Friend's Girl by Dorothy Koomson. This book started out with a lot of potential and then I felt totally flopped. I was expecting so much more in the end but I felt that it was almost a rushed "just finish the damn thing already" type of ending . There is so much wasted on the protagonist trying to decide between two men I felt that a lot of character development was lost. Oh well.This month it is basically work and down time in the sun and finishing up some new books I picked up. I am finally finishing one that was recommended to me but I hit a point in the book where I wasn't sure if I could finish it, but now I am flying and excited to finish. If you are curious, it is Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami. I loved the first book I'd read by him A Wild Sheep Chase, highly recommend it.
Hope everyone is well! I will try to be better about this whole blog thing and even try and finish the few I have saved as drafts. Peace!
2 comments:
I read "My Best Friend's Girl" and I agree it started out nicely but ended kinda lame... have you read the book, "Daniel isn't talking" yet? It is really good... fiction but being that you are involved with children with Autism the story is very true-to-life...
Hey thanks for the update! More please. I like to hear what you are up to. Hang in there with Kafka, I struggled too. I have stopped half way with one of his other books and I just can't seem to get through it.
Post a Comment