Sunday, September 21, 2008

School Pride, MORE then Sports People

Last night a girl friend and I walked into my local liquor store to pick up some stuff for a quiet evening of chick flicks, appetizers and relaxation. As we walked in the cashier at the register stated "Two more KU girls!"
I remembered then that I was wearing my favorite crimson, KU shirt and so was my accomplice. A few others in the store whom wore their crimson did a little whooping and I raised my arms quickly and whooped back the "Rock Chalk" call. I smiled at this connection between strangers and enjoyed the feeling of camaraderie as we grabbed what we needed and headed back up to the register to greet the cashier once more.
He smiled at us and then asked, "So whats the score?"
...Score? Oh yeah, there was a football game going on.
"Uum, I don't know. I'm more of a basketball girl" I answered truthfully, though if he'd asked me to name any of the players I would have failed miserably. Then I saw the look. The look that anyone gets when they think that you are a poser, a wanna-be, a bandwagon jumper.

He shook his head and rolled his eyes and then asked us to name a football player for KU. I stood there dumbfounded but my friend jumped in and was able to name one, but only his first name and his jersey number. The cashier scoffed at her answer too when she couldn't produce his last name but her response, "I don't care about his last name, I just care about his arms, whoop! Have you SEEN them? Huge!" Shut him up for a moment.
Our interrogator immediately turned red and mumbled, "Haven't heard that one before...guess I need to start lifting weights." and let the subject drop when I immediately went into my rant on Micheal Phelps's abs.
I was very bothered as we walked out to the car and then it hit me. Why can't I wear my KU gear (which I LOVE) and not be mocked and looked down on that I am NOT an avid sports follower who knows every little detail? If anything, my school spirit lies in the fact that I am proud of my school and the department I graduated from. Does ANYONE know the name of at least 3 professors in the Applied Behavioral Science (or any in it's history) or the names of any professors who are developing studies to help children with Autism Spectrum Disorder?? Does anyone know that the Special Education Department was ranked number ONE in public Universities???? How about the pride I feel when I look at my diploma and know that I spent four and a half years at a wonderful place that I grew at and met my husband and amazing friends??!
So you know what, screw you cashier! If you can't answer any of THOSE questions, you should NOT be rolling your eyes at me... jerk.
(By the way, I DO like to watch basketball but FYI it stresses me to the point I am hiding behind things or running out of the room because it's too much for me... thanks mom... ;-) )

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Beth! Okay, I have to say I LOVED this post. This is so true. How can people expect the MILLIONS of students who attend the school be die hard sports fans? I bet if there was a soccer game or track meet he wouldn't have even known (don't get me started on people's lack of self-awareness and the fact that things go on outside of your own bubble that you don't know about. Guys that obsess over sports are especially bad about this). I wonder if 6 years ago (yikes, has it been that long since we've been there?) when KU sucked at football if he would have known anyone's name. Talk about a bandwagon jumper. Great point about being proud of your department, your degree, and just your college experience in general. Rock chalk!

Bugsy said...

E, I love, love, love you girl! :-)