Sunday, June 21, 2009

Some Books

So here is a brief run down of the books I have read recently since my April blog...
The Boy In The Stripped Pajama's -not what I expected and left me with a lot of questions and feeling like it was trying to be more then what it really was. There is a movie out on DVD and I've heard it is good. Maybe will look for it at some point.
Bridget Jone's Diary - totally worth the read and couldn't put it down till done! I spent a 3hour flight finishing this thing and I rarely read on flights due to worry of nausea. Very different from the movie but loved every bit of it. I even laughed out loud at some points. Highly recommend this book if looking for a fun read!
Gone With The Wind - Oh...my...god... this is so freaking long. However, it was worth the scheduled time, the endless frustration of Scarlett's growing selfishness and a love afair that in the end you realize can never be matched and can never end (sorry Rhett, I don't believe you!) This is a CLASSIC. A read that is worth the wait and one that I feel every woman should experience. I also endured the 4 hour movie...and yes, it IS 4 hours. It was an experience to be had if you happen to have a long afternoon to yourself.
The Reader - I am never a fan of anything that glorifies stachatory rape. This was made into a movie which of coarse had it's praises sung to no end when it came out, but seriously, he's 15, she's in her 30's. Come on people!! Throughout the book you see that she preyed on him in which effects the rest of his life. And why is it considered poetic when an older woman preys on a BOY when if the sexes were reverse everyone would be calling for castration? Have I mentioned I'm not a fan of double standards either? There are other issues I had with this book, but I fear I am a bit too worn out to go into them at the moment, so this will be my one thing for now.
Need to stop for today. Take care to all!

1 comment:

hombre guapo said...

I agree with you on Gone with the Wind, the movie version, which I own. I never did read the book though. I read The Reader, and I don't agree by any means or think it is right the whole 15 year old with a 30 year old something, but I did have a different opinion overall. Interesting to see your points though. . .maybe I should rethink that.