Sunday, January 21, 2007

Books..again!

So I've finished a couple of books that I wanted to share with everyone. here goes...
The Secret Memoirs of Jaqueline Kennedy Onassis by Ruth Francisco:
This was a good read. Unfortunatly I started reading this during our "Suckfest 2006" which during parts of people being assasinated it was a little hard to get through. Otherwise I thought it was written very well and I enjoyed her descriptions of Europe and how she made this fictional writting historically acurate but very personal. I don't know much about the former first lady but this book made me curious to learn more. It was funny cause one of Bobo's sisters is very noledgeble of JFK and the hole Kennedy clan and I really want her to read it and tell me what she thinks about it.
Also, I would like to thank Mary Jo H. who sent me this book as part of my "Book Shower" before I got married. This was one I received form several of my mothers friends and I'm starting to go through them. So thanks MJ! (mom or dad please tell her about this)

Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs:
Truly this book was not my taste. I randomly picked it up on a whim thinking it would be a fun read on my hour breaks during work. Unfortunatly it wasn't. There were things that disturbed me and things I don't think I ever want to have pictured in my mind again. With that being said, Burroughs is a wonderful writter and the only reason I kept reading this book was because he wrote it SO WELL. I've seen that they made this into a movie, but I don't know if I want to see it. I can't even begin to think that they would have a scene were a 13 year old boy is raped by a 30 year old and then told that's what is suppose to happen since he's gay. This was one of those points were I cringed reading the book cause... hello!! Child abuse! I can't stand reading stuff like that, like in "Lovely Bones" were the 13 year old girl was raped and murdered. However (back to the book) there were parts I was cracking up at and points made that got me thinking. I really enjoyed reading about how this kid viewed his care takers and how he describes all their strange little adventures. But seriously, unless you don't mind some disturbing images, don't read it. Otherwise enjoy!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

M & D are so very proud of our daughter.

Unknown said...

You read a lot of books, I am trying to catch up with you!! But I think you need to include some Asian writers into the mix. I will send you some new books to see if you like...