Tuesday, November 04, 2008

It's All Just History in the End

I voted early this morning. I arrived at 5:50am at my polling place, 10 minutes before they opened and stood in line for another forty minutes to cast my vote. As I walked out the little old lady with the puffy bands and Royals sweatshirt handed me what I consider to be the golden ticket of the day, my "I voted" sticker! Oh Joy! I hurried to my car after digging to china in my huge bag for my keys and zoomed off to Starbucks to receive my free coffee. As I inhaled the delicious aroma of the new Thanksgiving brew (very good by the way) I smiled to the two other women also doctoring up their free java drinks. I asked one of the women how long she'd had to wait at her poll and she said not too long, about the same amount of time as myself. She then turned to me and with a wide smile commented, "Isn't it amazing? Today we made history! No matter who you voted for, this is an election that has really mattered!"
I paused at this and smiled, really thinking about this for the first time. This is a dream come true for so many people this election. On the radio I heard that it's been less then 100 years that women have had the right to vote, and a woman is the Republican VP. In 1870 African American males were given the right to vote, but only now is there an African American as the Democratic Presidential nominee. It's amazing. So much is happening RIGHT NOW!
I'm proud of our country today. No matter what, this is a huge step in us as a Nation. I am glad I voted today unlike 4 years ago where I was naive and panicked and just filled in dots trying to get out of that dumb little booth, feeling it was something I HAD to do. This time it was all me, my choice... I feel the tiniest bit adult at the moment...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I too am amazed at this historic event, unfortunately I didnt get my act together in time to vote. Apparently I had to ask Kansas for an absentee ballot like a few months before the election in order to vote. Oh well, but if my children ever ask if I voted the year the first black president was elected I will probably just say yes! :p

Bugsy said...

LoL! Yeah, your kids would never know if you're lying anyway ;-) God for it!