Saturday, November 01, 2008

Finishing off Pray and Love

I've finally finished Elizabeth Gilbert's NYT Bestseller Eat, Pray, Love. It's taken me a while to finish this one, but then again I've had a lot going on, and frankly I got very frustrated while reading this book. I've already commented on the first part of this book where she, Liz, is in Italy, enjoying the food and the indulgence of an amazing country, so I will continue on to Pray and Love. Spoiler alert, stop reading here.
Pray...
This is the point where Liz journeys to India and spends four months in an ashram working on her meditation skills and continues on her search for God, peace... or something. Frankly, I had some issues with this section of the book and even became very frustrated with Liz's self absorbed views of her experience. Please know a lot of this frustration comes from my own spiritual convictions, so for those whom loved this section of the story, well, too bad, this is my opinion. I realized I was slowly starting to despise her as she whined on and on about her divorce and how being in this ashram and having dreams about her Guru and their guru and how she reaches a state of bliss kind of got to me. At first I really had enjoyed the insightful look into exploring and getting to know God better and learning to talk to Him and know Him, but as the book goes on, her god seems to becomes...well, herself. This point seemed very clear in the last few pages of the book where she concludes that at a devastating time in her life where she originally thought it was God talking to her to comfort her, she decides it's her future, happier self instead. Don't get me too wrong on this. I think that there are points in life where it's a good thing to look after and take care of yourself, but also there is a point of self obsession.
Love...
I enjoyed this last section of the book more, but I realized something halfway through it. This, again, is my opinion. Liz admits to always having to have a man in her life or seems to jump on relationships like a cat on cat nip. This kind of obsession seems to transfer over to religious practices. I noticed how much she absorbed everything she was told, God wise or spiritual wise, she accepted and made it a part of her life, no questions asked, no doubt, no rebellion. It was almost like she was a religious junkie. Then thinking back on the rest of the book, that's what seemed to become her patch, if you will, different religious practices.

I did really enjoy some parts of the book, like the traveling, the descriptions of different places and some of the history behind them, the descriptions of food and her friendships with some very interesting people. This was all fun to read and insightful.
Overall not a bad read, just a little conflicting. Not one of my favorites, but it is to many others, so give it a try.

No comments: